William Shakespeare Quotes And Saying

William Shakespeare Quotes


“You speak an infinite deal of nothing.” ― William Shakespeare

“These violent delights have violent endsAnd in their triump die, like fire and powderWhich, as they kiss, consume” ― William Shakespeare

“Let me not to the marriage of true minds Admit impediments. Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove. O no, it is an ever-fixed mark That looks on tempests and is never shaken; It is the star to every wand'ring barque, Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken. Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks Within his bending sickle's compass come; Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, But bears it out even to the edge of doom. If this be error and upon me proved, I never writ, nor no man ever loved.” ― William Shakespeare, Great Sonnets

“To die, to sleep - To sleep, perchance to dream - ay, there's the rub,For in this sleep of death what dreams may come...” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Shakespeare Quotes Love

“With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.” ― William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

“Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate: Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, And summer's lease hath all too short a date: Sometimes too hot the eye of heaven shines, And too often is his gold complexion dimm'd: And every fair from fair sometimes declines, By chance or natures changing course untrimm'd; By thy eternal summer shall not fade, Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest; Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade, When in eternal lines to time thou growest: So long as men can breathe or eyes can see, So long lives this and this gives life to thee.” ― William Shakespeare, Sonnets

“I know that David Tennant's Hamlet isn't till July. And lots of people are going to be doing Dr Who in Hamlet jokes, so this is just me getting it out of the way early, to avoid the rush..."To be, or not to be, that is the question. Weeelll.... More of A question really. Not THE question. Because, well, I mean, there are billions and billions of questions out there, and well, when I say billions, I mean, when you add in the answers, not just the questions, weeelll, you're looking at numbers that are positively astronomical and... for that matter the other question is what you lot are doing on this planet in the first place, and er, did anyone try just pushing this little red button?” ― Neil Gaiman

Shakespeare Quotes On Friendship

“Conscience doth make cowards of us all.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

“Et tu, Brute?” ― William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

“Wisely and slow; they stumble that run fast.” ― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“O serpent heart hid with a flowering face!Did ever a dragon keep so fair a cave?Beautiful tyrant, feind angelical, dove feather raven, wolvish-ravening lamb! Despised substance of devinest show, just opposite to what thou justly seemest - A dammed saint, an honourable villain!” ― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“Some are born great, others achieve greatness.” ― William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

“Sweets to the sweet.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

“Lord Polonius: What do you read, my lord? Hamlet: Words, words, words. Lord Polonius: What is the matter, my lord? Hamlet: Between who? Lord Polonius: I mean, the matter that you read, my lord.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

William Shakespeare Inspirational Quotes

“Some Cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.” ― William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

“Are you sure/That we are awake? It seems to me/That yet we sleep, we dream” ― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

“Better a witty fool, than a foolish wit.” ― William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

“All's well that ends well.” ― William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

“I have good reason to be content,for thank God I can read andperhaps understand Shakespeare to his depths.” ― John Keats

Shakespeare Quotes About Death

“[Thine] face is not worth sunburning.” ― William Shakespeare, Henry V

“Some are born mad, some achieve madness, and some have madness thrust upon 'em.” ― Emilie Autumn, The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls

“Actors are so fortunate. They can choose whether they will appear in tragedy or in comedy, whether they will suffer or make merry, laugh or shed tears. But in real life it is different. Most men and women are forced to perform parts for which they have no qualifications. Our Guildensterns play Hamlet for us, and our Hamlets have to jest like Prince Hal. The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.” ― Oscar Wilde, Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories

“[Thou] mad mustachio purple-hued maltworms!” ― William Shakespeare, Henry IV: Part 1

shakespeare love poems

“I believe it was Shakespeare, or possibly Howard Cosell, who first observed that marriage is very much like a birthday candle, in that 'the flames of passion burn brightest when the wick of intimacy is first ignited by the disposable butane lighter of physical attraction, but sooner or later the heat of familiarity causes the wax of boredom to drip all over the vanilla frosting of novelty and the shredded coconut of romance.' I could not have phrased it better myself.” ― Dave Barry

“I am haunted by the ghost of my father, I think that should allow me to quote Hamlet as much as I please.” ― Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus

“But what if Shakespeare― and Hamlet― were asking the wrong question? What if the real question is not whether to be, but how to be?” ― Gayle Forman, Just One Day

“I love you with so much of my heart that none is left to protest.” ― William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

Shakespeare Love Sonnets

“This goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory, this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust?” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

“What needs my Shakespeare for his honoured bones,The labor of an age in pilèd stones,Or that his hallowed relics should be hidUnder a star-y-pointing pyramid?Dear son of memory, great heir of fame,What need'st thou such weak witness of thy name?” ― John Milton, The Complete Poetry

“All causes shall give way: I am in bloodStepp’d in so far that, should I wade no more,Returning were as tedious as go o’er.” ― William Shakespeare, Macbeth

“Be patient, Ophelia.
Love,Hamlet” ― Kurt Vonnegut

Shakespeare Sonnets

“Sometimes...the hardest part about letting someone go is realizing that you were never meant to have them.” ― Rebecca Serle, When You Were Mine

“If there really had been a Mercutio, and if there really were a Paradise, Mercutio might be hanging out with teenage Vietnam draftee casualties now, talking about what it felt like to die for other people's vanity and foolishness.” ― Kurt Vonnegut, Hocus Pocus

“If there really is such a thing as turning in one's grave, Shakespeare must get a lot of exercise.” ― George Orwell, All Art is Propaganda: Critical Essays“Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,— For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a hell-broth boil and bubble. Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble.” ― William Shakespeare

“Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,Is the immediate jewel of their souls:Who steals my purse steals trash; ’tis something, nothing;’twas mine, ’tis his, and has been slave to thousands;But he that filches from me my good nameRobs me of that which not enriches him, And makes me poor indeed.” ― William Shakespeare, Othello

William Shakespeare

“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ― Robert Wilensky

“Sweet are the uses of adversityWhich, like the toad, ugly and venomous,Wears yet a precious jewel in his head.” ― William Shakespeare, As You Like It

“It was one of those cases where you approve the broad, general principle of an idea but can't help being in a bit of a twitter at the prospect of putting it into practical effect. I explained this to Jeeves, and he said much the same thing had bothered Hamlet.”― P.G. Wodehouse, Jeeves in the Morning

“He would reach for me in the middle of the night, nearly every single night, wrapping one of those solid arms around my waist and pulling me in close. So. Close.” ― Chelsie Shakespeare, The Pull

“Mozart, Pascal, Boolean algebra, Shakespeare, parliamentary government, baroque churches, Newton, the emancipation of women, Kant, Balanchine ballets, et al. don’t redeem what this particular civilization has wrought upon the world. The white race is the cancer of human history.” ― Susan Sontag

“The Play's the Thing, wherein I'll catch the conscience of the King.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars/ But in ourselves.” ― William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

“Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds.” ― William Shakespeare, Love Poems and Sonnets

“I have no spurTo prick the sides of my intent, but onlyVaulting ambition, which o'erleaps itselfAnd falls on the other.” ― William Shakespeare, Macbeth

“And therefore, — since I cannot prove a lover,To entertain these fair well-spoken days, —I am determined to prove a villain,And hate the idle pleasures of these days.” ― William Shakespeare, Richard III

“Excellent wretch! Perdition catch my soul But I do love thee! and when I love thee not, Chaos is come again.” ― William Shakespeare, Othello

“Educated men are so impressive!” ― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“Tax not so bad a voice to slander music any more than once.” ― William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

“Life... is a paradise to what we fear of death.” ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

“Your face, my thane, is as a book where menMay read strange matters. To beguile the time,Look like the time; bear welcome in your eye,Your hand, your tongue: look like the innocent flower,But be the serpent under't.” ― William Shakespeare, Macbeth

“Who knows himself a braggart, let him fear this, for it will come to pass that every braggart shall be found an ass.” ― William Shakespeare, The Complete Works

“Thy husband is thy lord, thy life, thy keeper,Thy head, thy sovereign, one that cares for thee,And for thy maintenance; commits his bodyTo painful labor, both by sea and land;To watch the night in storms, the day in cold,Whilst thou li’st warm at home, secure and safe;And craves no other tribute at thy handsBut love, fair looks, and true obedience-Too little payment for so great a debt.Such duty as the subject owes the prince,Even such a woman oweth to her husband;And when she is froward, peevish, sullen, sour,And no obedient to his honest will,What is she but a foul contending rebel,And graceless traitor to her loving lord?I asham’d that women are so simple‘To offer war where they should kneel for peace,Or seek for rule, supremacy, and sway,When they are bound to serve, love, and obey.Why are our bodies soft, and weak, and smooth,Unapt to toil and trouble in the world,But that our soft conditions, and our hearts,Should well agree with our external parts?” ― William Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew


“The sweetest honey is loathsome in its own deliciousness. And in the taste destroys the appetite. Therefore, love moderately.” ― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“You are thought here to the most senseless and fit man for the job.” ― William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
“True hope is swift, and flies with swallow's wings.” ― William Shakespeare

“They lie deadly that tell you have good faces.” ― William Shakespeare, Coriolanus

“Yet but three come one more.Two of both kinds make up four.Ere she comes curst and sad.Cupid is a knavish lad.Thus to make poor females mad.” ― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

“By my soul I swear, there is no power in the tongue of man to alter me.” ― William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

“O wonderful, wonderful, and most wonderful wonderful! And yet again wonderful, and after that, out of all hooping.” ― William Shakespeare, As You Like It

“Antonio: Will you stay no longer? nor will you not that I go with you? Sebastian: By your patience, no. My stars shine darkly over me; the malignancy of my fate might, perhaps, distemper yours; therefore I shall crave of you your leave that I may bear my evils alone. It were a bad recompense for your love to lay any of them on you.” ― William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

“He kills her in her own humor.” ― Shakespeare

“Alack, there lies more peril in thine eyeThan twenty of their swords: look thou but sweet,And I am proof against their enmity.” ― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“And since you know you cannot see yourself,so well as by reflection, I, your glass,will modestly discover to yourself,that of yourself which you yet know not of.” ― William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

“And nothing is, but what is not.” ― William Shakespeare, Macbeth

“My Crown is in my heart, not on my head:Not deck'd with Diamonds, and Indian stones:Nor to be seen: my Crown is call'd Content,A Crown it is, that seldom Kings enjoy.” ― William Shakespeare, King Henry VI, Part 3

“My dull brain was wrought with things forgotten.” ― William Shakespeare

“I drink to the general joy o’ the whole table." Macbeth” ― William Shakespeare, Macbeth

“If one good deed in all my life I did, I do repent it from my very soul.” ― William Shakespeare

“She moves me not, or not removes at least affection's edge in me.” ― William Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew

“O, that he were here to write me down an ass! But, masters, remember, that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass.” ― William Shakespeare

“Affliction is enamoured of thy parts, And thou art wedded to calamity.” ― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“Olivia: What's a drunken man like, fool?Feste: Like a drowned man, a fool, and a madman: one draught above heat makes him a fool; the second mads him; and a third drowns him.” ― William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

“I can call spirits from the vasty deep."

Why so can I, or so can any man. But will they come when you do call for them?” ― William Shakespeare

“No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I know none, and therefore am no beast.” ― William Shakespeare, Richard III

“But Kate, dost thou understand thus much English? Canst thou love me?"Catherine: "I cannot tell."Henry: "Can any of your neighbours tell, Kate? I'll ask them.” ― William Shakespeare, Henry V

“They are the books, the arts, the academes,That show, contain and nourish all the world.” ― William Shakespeare

“Love is holy.” ― William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

“Let me have war, say I: it exceeds peace as far as day does night; it's spritely, waking, audible, and full of vent. Peace is a very apoplexy, lethargy; mulled, deaf, sleepy, insensible; a getter of more bastard children than war's a destroyer of men.” ― William Shakespeare, Coriolanus

“Thou whoreson zed! Thou unnecessary letter! My lord, if you will give me leave, I will tread this unbolted villain into mortar, and daub the wall of a jakes with him. *all cheer for Shakespearean insults*” ― William Shakespeare

“To be now a sensible man, by and by a fool, and presently abeast!” ― William Shakespeare, Othello and the Tragedy of Mariam

“But men may construe things after their fashion, Clean from the purpose of the things themselves.” ― William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

“At this hourLie at my mercy all mine enemies.” ― William Shakespeare, The Tempest

“Their manners are more gentle, kind, than of our generation you shall find.” ― William Shakespeare, The Tempest

“I take thee at thy word:Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized;Henceforth I never will be Romeo.” ― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“When I do count the clock that tells the time,And see the brave day sunk in hideous night;When I behold the violet past prime,And sable curls all silver'd o'er with white;When lofty trees I see barren of leavesWhich erst from heat did canopy the herd,And summer's green all girded up in sheavesBorne on the bier with white and bristly beard,Then of thy beauty do I question make,That thou among the wastes of time must go,Since sweets and beauties do themselves forsakeAnd die as fast as they see others grow;And nothing 'gainst Time's scythe can make defenceSave breed, to brave him when he takes thee hence.” ― William Shakespeare, Sonnets

“When devils will the blackest sins put onThey do suggest at first with heavenly shows” ― William Shakespeare

“By the sweet power of music: therefore the poet did feign that Orpheus drew trees, stones and floods; since nought so stockish, hard and full of rage, but music for the time doth change his nature. The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils; The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Erebus: Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.” ― William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

“These are the ushers of Martius: before himHe carries noise, and behind him he leaves tears.Death, that dark spirit, in's nervy arm doth lie,Which being advanc'd, declines, and then men die.” ― William Shakespeare, Coriolanus

“Mother, you have my father much offended.”
― William Shakespeare

“For in that sleep of death what dreams may come When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,Must give us pause” ― William Shakespeare

“Thou wouldst as soon go kindle fire with snow as seek to quench the fire of love with words.” ― Shakespeare

“For thy sweet love remembr'd such wealth bringsThat then, I scorn to change my state with kings.” ― William Shakespeare

“To die, is to be banish'd from myself; And Silvia is myself: banish'd from her, Is self from self: a deadly banishment! What light is light, if Silvia be not seen? What joy is joy, if Silvia be not by? Unless it be to think that she is by, And feed upon the shadow of perfection.Except I be by Silvia in the night, There is no music in the nightingale; Unless I look on Silvia in the day, There is no day for me to look upon; She is my essence, and I leave to be, If I be not by her fair influence Foster'd, illumin'd, cherish'd, kept alive.” ― William Shakespeare, The Two Gentlemen of Verona


“For this new-married man approaching here,Whose salt imagination yet hath wrong'dYour well defended honour, you must pardonFor Mariana's sake: but as he adjudged your brother,--Being criminal, in double violationOf sacred chastity and of promise-breachThereon dependent, for your brother's life,--The very mercy of the law cries outMost audible, even from his proper tongue,'An Angelo for Claudio, death for death!'Haste still pays haste, and leisure answers leisure;Like doth quit like, and MEASURE still FOR MEASURE” ― William Shakespeare

“Well said, old mole!” ― Shakespeare

“But doth must suffer a sea-changeInto something rich and strange.” ― William Shakespeare, The Tempest

“But doth suffer a sea-changeInto something rich and strange.” ― William Shakespeare, The Tempest

“She loves him with an enraged affection, it is past the infinite of thought.” ― William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

“she did lieIn her pavillion--cloth-of-gold of tissue--O'er-picturing that Venus where we seeThe fancy out-work nature” ― William Shakespeare, Antony and Cleopatra

“and Anthony, Enthroned i'th'market-place, did sit aloneWhistling to th'air, which but for vacancyHad gone to gaze on Cleopatra too,And made a gap in Nature.” ― William Shakespeare, Antony and Cleopatra

“Age cannot wither her, nor custom staleHer infinite variety [...] she makes hungryWhere most she satisfies; for vilest thingsBecome themselves in her” ― William Shakespeare, Antony and Cleopatra

“Melt Egypt into Nile!” ― William Shakespeare, Antony and Cleopatra

“What though the rose have prickles, yet 'tis pluck'd.” ― William Shakespeare, Venus and Adonis

“Marry, if you would put me to verses or to dance foryour sake, Kate, why you undid me: for the one, Ihave neither words nor measure, and for the other, Ihave no strength in measure, yet a reasonablemeasure in strength. If I could win a lady atleap-frog, or by vaulting into my saddle with myarmour on my back, under the correction of braggingbe it spoken. I should quickly leap into a wife.Or if I might buffet for my love, or bound my horsefor her favours, I could lay on like a butcher andsit like a jack-an-apes, never off. But, before God,Kate, I cannot look greenly nor gasp out myeloquence, nor I have no cunning in protestation;only downright oaths, which I never use till urged,nor never break for urging. If thou canst love afellow of this temper, Kate, whose face is not worthsun-burning, that never looks in his glass for loveof any thing he sees there, let thine eye be thycook. I speak to thee plain soldier: If thou canstlove me for this, take me: if not, to say to theethat I shall die, is true; but for thy love, by theLord, no; yet I love thee too. And while thoulivest, dear Kate, take a fellow of plain anduncoined constancy; for he perforce must do theeright, because he hath not the gift to woo in otherplaces: for these fellows of infinite tongue, thatcan rhyme themselves into ladies’ favours, they doalways reason themselves out again. What! aspeaker is but a prater; a rhyme is but a ballad. Agood leg will fall; a straight back will stoop; ablack beard will turn white; a curled pate will growbald; a fair face will wither; a full eye will waxhollow: but a good heart, Kate, is the sun and themoon; or, rather, the sun, and not the moon; for itshines bright and never changes, but keeps hiscourse truly. If thou would have such a one, takeme; and take me, take a soldier; take a soldier,take a king. And what sayest thou then to my love?speak, my fair, and fairly, I pray thee.” ― William Shakespeare, Henry V

“I was not angry since I came to FranceUntil this instant. Take a trumpet, herald;Ride thou unto the horsemen on yon hill:If they will fight with us, bid them come down,Or void the field; they do offend our sight:If they’ll do neither, we will come to them,And make them skirr away, as swift as stonesEnforced from the old Assyrian slings:Besides, we’ll cut the throats of those we have,And not a man of them that we shall takeShall taste our mercy. Go and tell them so.” ― William Shakespeare, Henry V

“Ladies, you deserveTo have a temple built you: all the swordsIn Italy, and her confederate arms,Could not have made this peace.” ― William Shakespeare, Coriolanus

“His nature is too noble for the world:He would not flatter Neptune for his trident,Or Jove for’s power to thunder. His heart’s his mouth:What his breast forges, that his tongue must vent;And being angry, does forget that everHe heard the name of death.” ― William Shakespeare, Coriolanus

“Were half to half the world by the ears and heUpon my party, I'ld revolt to make Only my wars with him: he is a lion That I am proud to hunt.” ― William Shakespeare, Coriolanus

“He remembers the first time he saw Olivia, and how he had felt that she cleared the air of all pestilence, and at that moment he had turned into a hart, and ever since, his own desires, like cruel hounds, have pursued him.” ― William Shakespeare

“A fool, a fool! I met a fool i' the forest,A motley fool; a miserable world!As I do live by food, I met a foolWho laid him down and bask'd him in the sun,Andrail'd on Lady Fortune in good terms,In good set terms and yet a motley fool.'Good morrow, fool,' quoth I. 'No, sir,' quoth he,'Call me not fool till heaven hath sent me fortune:'And then he drew a dial from his poke,And, looking on it with lack-lustre eye,Says very wisely, 'It is ten o'clock:Thus we may see,' quoth he, 'how the world wags:'Tis but an hour ago since it was nine,And after one hour more 'twill be eleven;And so, from hour to hour, we ripe and ripe,And then, from hour to hour, we rot and rot;And thereby hangs a tale.' When I did hearThe motley fool thus moral on the time,My lungs began to crow like chanticleer,That fools should be so deep-contemplative,And I did laugh sans intermissionAn hour by his dial. O noble fool!A worthy fool! Motley's the only wear.” ― William Shakespeare, As You Like It

“If I could write the beauty of your eyesAnd in fresh numbers number all your graces,The age to come would say 'this poet lies! Such heaven never touched earthly faces” ― William Shakespeare

“Hot from hell. Caesar's spirit raging in revenge. Cry,havoc! And let slip the dogs of war.” ― William Shakespeare

“Pleasure and revenge have ears more deaf than adders to the voice of any true decision.” ― William Shakespeare, Troilus and Cressida

“Must I observe you? Must I stand & crouchUnder your testy humour? By the gods, You shall digest the venom ofyour spleen,Though it do split you, for, from thisday forth, I'll use you for my mirth, yea,for my laughter, when you are waspish.” ― William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

“-Gardener: 
...Go thou, and like an executioner,Cut off the heads of too fast growing sprays,That look too lofty in our commonwealth:All must be even in our government.You thus employ'd, I will go root awayThe noisome weeds, which without profit suckThe soil's fertility from wholesome flowers.
+Servant:
Why should we in the compass of a paleKeep law and form and due proportion,Showing, as in a model, our firm estate,When our sea-walled garden, the whole land,Is full of weeds, her fairest flowers choked up,Her fruit-trees all upturned, her hedges ruin'd,Her knots disorder'd and her wholesome herbsSwarming with caterpillars?
-Gardener:Hold thy peace! He that hath suffer'd this disorder'd springHath now himself met with the fall of leaf.,,” ― William Shakespeare, Richard II

William Shakespeare Quotes And Saying William Shakespeare Quotes And Saying Reviewed by julie sasha on November 06, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.